I have seen these Floating Ghosts before and wished I had some to decorate with. It turns out, they are very easy to make! Simply follow the directions below and you can have some floating ghosts of your own! This is a great project to do with the kids. Have everyone create their own ghost and you can have an entire ghost family, how fun!
What you will need:
- Black felt
- small balloon
- plastic cup
How it is made:
- Make homemade liquid starch by pouring 2 cups of water into a microwave safe container. Add one cup of cornstarch and mix it really well. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in-between, until it gets thick (Takes about 2 minutes). Set that aside and let it cool down, but do not let it cool completely.
- Make your stand by blowing up your balloon and placing it in the cup so that the round part of the balloon is exposed. Balloons work well for this project because you can pop them, but you can substitute a Styrofoam ball if you need to.
- Cut the cheesecloth in half so that you can layer it. Coat each piece of cheesecloth with the cornstarch. Make sure it is completely coated before you drape and form it on the stand.
- Once you’ve formed it to perfection, allow it to completely dry. Let it dry overnight for best results. When it’s stiff, carefully remove the cheesecloth from the mold and glue on two felt eyes.
- Enjoy your Floating Ghosts!